Saturday, August 3, 2013

# 7 A BONE TO PICK WITH THE FOOD CHANNEL

I have a bone to pick with the food channel. I used to watch it all the time, picking up tips on cooking and recipes from the many cooks with their own shows: Ina Garten, Giada di Laurentis, Bobby Flay, Taylor Florence, Nigella Lawson and yes, even the one who used the "N" word. They all hosted shows where they actually cooked something and many of the segments were both fun and informative. Then the powers that be must have decided this flavor of show wasn't entertaining enough viewers. So they switched to things like "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" (who cares?) "Restaurant Impossible" (I do like to see the make-overs and the host has nice arms) where the restaurant owners often cry, and competitions like "Chopped" where someone loses and has to be "sent home." I want shows where I can actually learn something and this new breed doesn't do that for me. So I'm now confined to Ina Garten (a substantial cook), Giada (the food channel's sex star), and Sandra Lee (who despite being Cuomo's girlfriend is so sweet I could just slap her upside the face!). There is one new show I like and that's "The Frontier Woman" who has given me lots of inspiration for brunches. So Food TV: GO BACK TO COOKS, NOT ENTERTAINERS.

I've remained loyal to my diet and the Medi-Fast meals although they do become boring after a while and always leave a slight under-taste of chemicals. I don't think I can choke down another bag of Parmesan Puffs or Pizza Sticks but fortunately they're all gone and it is time to reorder my favorites. Yeah! And since the Fourth of July, I've lost 26 pounds. I can now go clothes shopping in my own closet.

Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment