Wednesday, October 16, 2013

#27 THE GOOD NEWS AND THE BAD NEWS

The good news, of course, is that I've lost over 40 pounds, most of it within the first two months, and have now reached my goal weight. Without all that weight hanging off my spine, my lower back no longer hurts and I've lost 4 inches off my waist. Without a belt, my former trousers just fall off down to the floor, partly because I now have no butt at all. (But then I never did have much of a butt anyway.) And as I've said, I can now go shopping in my own closet, wearing clothes I haven't worn in several year. The bad news (or at least sad news) is that my stomach/belly is still the most prominent feature of my profile. Even with the 4 inches gone, I'm still too heavy there and would like to lose some more weight in that area. But at my age, that seems unlikely. Unfortunately, although I can do more than 100 sit-ups at one time, this exercise aggravates the arthritis in my back and I've had to give up this remedy. So I tell myself to be satisfied.

I've transitioned off a strict Medi-fast program and now have built some regular foods into my eating routine without that seeming to add any weight. I eat some fruit and have a cocktail every once in a while and sometimes go out for both lunch and dinner. But if I have a big meal at one of those times, I'm careful to eat less fattening food at the other. I've been doing this now long enough to know that I can maintain my current weight on this routine. And I still eat Medi-fast food between meals to keep my metabolism going full blast.

In order to benefit from the Medi-fast program (at least in my experience) you only have to be dedicated to following the program religiously, at least at the beginning, until you lose down to your goal weight. Most of that process begins in your head; you have to want to lose the weight and be willing to give up habits that are counter-productive. That's the hard part. Once you've made that decision, the rest of the process is easy. As I said to a friend last night who expressed interest in the program, I'm happy to serve as mentor and coach if that will help. Call me any time to ask questions about my experience or to get help in sticking to your goal.

Stay tuned.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment