Monday, July 15, 2013

#4 OTHER ASSISTANCE




In addition to the food, a wealth of information comes with the Medi-Fast program in a subsidiary, or ancillary, program called “Taking Shape for Life.”  Once enrolled in Medi-Fast, one becomes an automatic member of TSFL at no additional cost. This entity provides written pamphlets that amplify, or modify, the Medi-Fast program for those of us, like me, with special needs – the elderly, those on blood thinners, those with diabetes, etc. It also give hints about exercise – when to take it and how much – and ultimately how to transition from the program once you’ve achieved your desired weight. TSFL also gives you a real, live coach – mine is Jill (she lives in San Diego) – who calls to see how you’re doing or whom you can call with questions. Jill called me after the second and fourth days I was on the program, just to be sure I understood how it worked and to be available to answer any questions. She was delighted, and I think mildly surprised, that I had lost so much weight in so little time. She’s very sweet and it’s incredibly helpful to have human encouragement and approval.
            I must admit that I still don’t love the food. Jill reminds me that when I reorder (if I do) that I can order what I want, and perhaps should be making those decisions now, as the program goes along. I like the drinks – chocolate, strawberry, and French vanilla – and the soups are okay: chicken with wild rice, tomato bisque. The chili is a little spicy for me and the sloppy Joes are pretty good. I like the brownie better than the chocolate chip cookie. I also like the oatmeal and the Cherrio-like berry cereal, which I’ve grown accustomed to eating without milk (although Jill tells me I can use almond milk for it if I like). But I usually bring it dry, into my office and just eat it by the handful, while I check my morning email and bring my blogs up to date. I definitely don’t prefer (a more polite way to say I really dislike) the parmesan puffs and the pizza sticks. I tell you all this mostly to demonstrate the variety of things available. I love the granola-like bars, easy to carry around if I’m going out to do shopping and will be away from home at some scheduled eat time. They’re slightly sweet and nicely crunchy. And the mac and cheese ain’t at all bad.
            I’ve only had one day of confusion, when I got up later than usual and had to adjust my eating schedule. I’m sleeping better and feeling much healthier. And when I pass a mirror in the hall, I’m now not afraid to look (even though that belly is still too prominent). Next, I’ll begin an exercise program, trying to start walking again, beginning, as TSFL recommends, with 10 minutes and hoping soon to get back to my old mile a day routine.
            Jill called this morning from a convention in Nashville – I was at Jos. Bank at one of their incredible sales, selecting three shirts for the price of one – and I loved telling her that I’d lost another five pounds (17 in all), down now almost to half the total weight I’ve wanted to lose
            Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment