Thursday, July 11, 2013

# 2 THE ROUTINE




The Medi-Fast program involves eating six times a day. Five of the meals are supplied by the company in the form of little packages of dehydrated food that you re-hydrate, usually with water, and if the meal needs to be cooked, throw in a microwave for a few minutes. It’s very simple, and very easy, and leaves no clean-up or dishes. I like that part. The food comes via UPS in one big carton that contains many smaller boxes, each labeled with the meal type and varying from tomato bisque to chicken rice soup, with detours through brownies and chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal. There’s a big enough variety to prevent boredom. These meals are all low in carbohydrates and calories and high in things like protein, and each package contains all the minerals and vitamins necessary to good health.

            The other meal is familiarly known as “lean and green” and is left to your discretion, to choose your ingredients at home or from a restaurant menu. “Lean” means lean meat – lots of chicken and fish are suggested, but you can also eat steak and pork – and the “green” part refers to two green vegetables. No starch, please. (I had dinner at the City CafĂ© on Monday and, as usual, had my filet and broccoli, but substituted a green salad for my usual mashed potatoes. I asked them to bring me a little vinegar and olive oil and I dipped my fork into them before spearing the lettuce.

            Instructions come with the material that provide information on which meats and which greens are lean, leaner and leanest, depending on how dedicated you are. At the heaviest I’ve ever weighed, I’m very dedicated. There is also very clear material that tells you how to begin, how to stay motivated, and how to transition to other foods once you’ve reached your goal weight.

            You eat these meals two to three hours apart and you can have your own “lean and green” at either lunch or dinner. And each meal should be accompanied by eight ounces of water, or a water-glass-full, plus two other glasses at some other time of day. I’m up early so my routine is my first meal at 6:00 AM, and in three-hour intervals, I have my last one at 9:00 PM. I also have to take doctor-recommended medications so I just add those two other glasses of water with pills in the morning and at night.

            This all may sound a little daunting and I must admit to not loving the food. Who would after all the gourmet recipes I’ve been trying, have eaten, and now post on Phil’s Favorite Food, my other blog? However, I grew used to both the food and the routine after only four days and my cravings for both my usual cocktail before dinner and dessert at lunch and dinner have disappeared.

            And the best part: I’ve lost 12 pounds in ten days!

            If you have an interest in this program (I’m only promoting it because so far, it works for me), just find medifast.com on the Internet. The information there will tell you how to select the right package of food for our lifestyle and give you the costs involved. It does suggest that, like any weight-loss program, you consult your physician before beginning it. But so far, so (really!) good.

            Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment